Conversations with Myself

My motivation levels soar and dip periodically, making me sometimes think  if I am depressed or if that is how this life is. A series of soaring and dipping in all of its literal and allegorical sense. But this conversation is not about the fickleness of my motivation but the intensity of the crests of it.

I do get highly motivated these days when I see or hear about concepts that are new or the ones that have been lurking around and I didn't pay enough attention to them. Every time I hear about how human resource could be used to make an impact on humanity and the nature, I get excited. Through this kind of response of my body & mind to this type of stimulus, I have learnt that that is how I get inspired and motivated to do something. Motivated to learn about how to make an impact and then how to turn that motivation into actionable items.

I have always had a vivid imagination but lately it has been hard to come up with any novel ideas to deal with the life or its atrocities. I do not mean atrocities in my life but the ones that the humanity has to deal with constantly. I am a pretty strong person mentally so I do bounce back from personal setbacks in relatively shorter span; although, even that takes longer sometimes as compared to when I was younger. Something about the body and mind fatigue I guess. But, I feel exercising, having a healthy environment including supportive family and friends help a lot with the building up of 'bounce back plasticity' of a human :)

However, it takes a while to get out of the numbness that the world brings about in you, through the constant struggle of humanity against evil, hardships, selfish leaders, corruption and man made disasters. I start wondering if anyone is capable of doing anything about it. It starts to feel daunting and pointless and to be honest, extremely futile. So, I have learnt ( gradually) that it is not okay to feel burdened by everything happening in the world- that it is almost a sure shot way to push oneself into a downward spiral of nihilistic mindset and negative thinking.

What helps are small tasks that I can do to change this state of mind. Small tasks to get myself back on track, like making my bed, taking a shower, talking to my mother, chatting with my brother, spending time with my partner, cooking, having a decent meal and maybe even read a few pages of a good book or a well researched article. Once I am done with this, I move on to thinking about what my small (1 in a 6 billion people) existence can do about the things happening around her! How can it make an impact and bring about change if any.

To be continued..

No comments:

Post a Comment